My Book

My Book

Monday, June 6, 2011

Lasagna and Corn dogs

Good morning,
I pray that the day is finding you well.

The sun is shining and the day is warm.

At church on Sunday one of our members mentioned that it was the first day in over two hundred days that had any measurable sunshine. He made the observation, “I am not sure how you measure sunshine.”

Two hundred days is a long time, over six months. Actually in the course of a lifetime it isn’t that long but it can sure feel like a long time when you are going through it.

The “two hundred days without any measurable sunshine” thing got me to thinking. It got me to thinking about the statement, “this too shall pass.” We tend to live in the moment and we do have a hard time looking forward to the things to come; especially when the “things to come” are out in front of us a ways.

I can remember when we were in the midst of the rain the weather people would say things like, “Well, today is rainy, the three day forecast is rain. But Friday looks dry. I would excited about Friday. I would look forward to Friday.

I would get up Friday morning and look outside and expect to see the sun only to see rain continuing to fall. I would turn on the news and the weather people would say, “Today is rainy, the three day forecast is rain. But Tuesday looks dry.” Only to have the same thing repeat itself on Tuesday. This would go on and on and on and as I mentioned earlier it went on for something like two hundred days.

I got to the point where I wished that the weather people would just predict rain and if the sun happened to come out I would have a nice surprise. I started to connect the “predictions” to my wife’s lasagna. I love my wife’s lasagna, this is one reason why my old pants don’t quite fit anymore. These predictions were like me asking my wife what we were going to have for dinner and she would say Lasagna. I would work all day all excited about having lasagna for dinner. When I would get home she decided to make corn dogs instead. Now I have to confess that my wife never traded lasagna for corn dogs but that is what I think it would feel like. I am glad that my wife is not a weather person.

Back to the point Roger. While it may seem that whenever we are going through a tough time it seems that it will never end, it will. While it may seem as if the hurt will never end, it will.

It will if we allow Christ to comfort us, to turn and look at Him, He can and will heal us. He will hold us in His arms and whisper in our ear, “This too shall pass.”


I know that I have used this passage before but it fits very well:
Jeremiah 29:11 11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

If you are going through a “rainy” season in life know that the sun will come out again.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment