My Book

My Book

Monday, July 16, 2012

See God through the rearview mirror

Good morning, I pray that the day is finding you well. I woke up this morning to the sounds of crickets chirping; I thought how nice is that. After a few chirps I realized it was my alarm clock going off. I mumbled some things and then turned it off and went back to sleep. A few minutes later, crickets start chirping again. I role over turn the alarm, yes the one that I turned off a few minutes ago, and turn it off again. I guess God wanted me to get up. As I laid there awake early in the morning I realized something.....I have to go to the bathroom! This seems to gain importance as we get older. I look up to heaven and say ok, I'm getting up. So now I am sitting here in Mountain Home Idaho at a KOA camp contemplating things. When we got to the KOA camp my friend Chuck and I asked about Don, he was the guy that used to check us in. The new girl said he is retired and is not doing very well, he has cancer. We met Don a few years ago after a long ride from Yellowstone park. It was a hot and windy day. We had been riding hard and we were worn out, our bikes were out of gas, so this seemed to be the stopping point for the day. We pulled into the KOA looking rode-worn. Don greeted us in his typical Don fashion; you see Don is an old world war two veteran and retired navy. His speech and mannerisms come right out of one of those old films, you now the ones I'm talking about, he is an old sea dog. He has anchors on his forearms and hold-fast tattooed on his figures. I was in dire need of a shower, so I asked Don, "Are there showers here?" Don answers, "We got showers, they're in the poophouse." Now that isn't really what Don said, but I'm not an old sea dog. When he said this my mind immediately went to an outdoor privy with a hose attached. I am not fond of outdoor privy's. Don says, "I will show you where it is." He walks us out of the main office, across the hall to a door with a code box on it. He types in some numbers and opens the door. We walk into the most beautiful bathroom a camp ever had. It had marble floors, very spacious, air conditioned, and the best showers in the world. Don says, "Welcome to the poophouse." and smiles. I look at Don and he laughs. Laurie and I live in a house by a river. We are in the process of closing which is taking long than any of us thought it would take. At first I was wondering why. Both Laurie and I continued to feel that we where still in the middle of God's will regarding the house but could not figure out why the delays. We were coming back from our anniversary weekend, we celebrate anniversary weekends; this may sound over the top but I know someone who celebrates birthday months, so we feel an anniversary weekend is just right. As we walked to the front door we found a package. We opened the package and inside was a book, a house blessing book. Caryn, who by the way is regarded as one of the family now, gave us that book. Caryn is who we are buying the house from. I emailed Caryn to thank her; Caryn emailed back. Caryn is an amazing women of God. She said that two years before her family started praying for just the right people to buy the house. We are no longer worried about the house. It will close, everything will be alright. Jerimiah 29:11 comes to mind. "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you, not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." As Chuck and rode yesterday we thought about Don, we thought about the poophouse. I also thought about the river house and Caryn. It is a funny thing; when you relax and just let God be God and trust in Jesus, it is amazing who you meet. Chuck and I will visit Don before we leave today. We will talk with him and pray with him. Caryn and Laurie will be praying as well, I know that. Will you pray for Don with us? Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment