My Book

My Book

Saturday, December 22, 2012

I cleaned my office, almost!

Good morning,
I pray the day is finding you well.

I have been on the run since Thanksgiving.

My office has literally become a place to dump stuff as I go from one thing to another.

We, the YMCA, have partnered with the Salvation Army and placed a Christmas "Giving Tree" in our lobby. The Staff and members really outdid themselves this year and the lobby began to overflow with gifts. This meant that gifts started to pile up in my office. The other morning I came into the "Y" to find my door open and a little red wagon sticking out the doorway. I had to move the little red wagon just to get through the door.

Norm, Zac (One of our staff's kid) and I loaded three carloads, and when I say car loads I mean carloads, not little cars but station-wagons and suv's full of gifts. Over 200 kids will get Christmas this year because of the generosity of our staff and members.

I could see the floor of my office again.

After a mid evening meeting I came back to the "Y" with the intention of getting my office back.

The "Y" was a buzz with activity as usual, but the usual suspects that usually take time away from "admin stuff" were not there. It would be a good time for me to clean.

I had been cleaning for about ten minutes when the Welcome Center brought me a family.

Christina, one of the Welcome Center staff offered to watch the kids as I spoke with the mom.

Heather (not her real name), is at her wits end. She is a single mother of three boys, ages 9, 8, and 6 years-old. She has had a rough life. She has been homeless in the past. She has been working very hard to get her life together. She recently graduated from college. She lost her job and will be evicted soon.

It is Christmas.

This is a terrible time of year for things like this to happen, as if there is a good time of year for this kind of thing to happen.

I listened to her talk.

I watched tears come to her eyes as she lamented her situation.

I watched her tremble as she thought about the future.

I prayed with her, and over her and her family.

I then started emailing my resources.

I contacted Sharon.

I contacted Darcy.

I gave Heather contact information.

Heather and I talked some more as Christina played with Heather's kids.

I prayed with Heather again and said that I would be in touch.

Needless to say I did not get my office cleaned that night. As usual it would have to wait for a quieter time.

The funny thing about Christ is that He usually throws a monkey-wrench into the plans that I make. It seems that He has other plans. I guess that is why He is the boss.

I continue to pray for Heather and her family as I work to find a job for her.

I have faith that she will come out of this intact. I will continue to work with her to help her heal and become whole.

I am told that Christmas is a time for miracles, but I have found that miracles don't just happen at Christmas, they happen all year long.

We just need to eyes to see them.

My prayer is that we not only have eyes to see miracles all year-round but have the eyes to see the possibility of a miracle, and the courage to act on this possibility.

Blessings,



No comments:

Post a Comment