My Book

My Book

Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Chaplain is all wet!

Good morning, I pray the day is finding you well.

The members have been giving me a hard time.

I entered the weight loss challenge (which gives you and indication that maybe I need to lose weight).

I will talk about the weight loss challenge later.

It is true that I need to lose weight. Ever since I was diagnosed with SMS I have needed to lose weight.

I was diagnosed with SMS a number of years ago and I am now on medication that keeps it in check but I am still “over” in the weight department; saying that I am “over” in the weight department somehow sounds better than just saying overweight.

I just realized that not everyone knows what “SMS” is.

SMS is short for “Stupid Man’s Syndrome.”

If I had gone to the doctor right away when I started feeling bad, I would not have gained 50 pounds before I found out that my Thyroid was not working properly. It has been a battle ever since.

As I was saying, the members have been giving me a hard time.

I have been going upstairs and working out but they wanted me to get into the pool too.

They wanted me to take some water aerobics classes.

So, I did.

The first day I came to class, I ended up praying with members on a variety of subjects; everything from sick with the flu to dying on cancer. I prayed with many members that morning.

The next day I talked with another person who was “over” in the weight department. He knows he should be doing more, he told me that for a number of years a therapist would work with him and one day two years ago the therapist saw the YCMA. He said, “You need to go to the YMCA.

This man has been coming to the “Y” and while he is not in perfect shape, he is no longer in a wheel chair.

So often, we look for the great big things to celebrate. We are intent on looking for the big miracle. All we need to do is keep our eyes open and we can see the little miracles, and celebrate them.

Isn’t that what makes up most of our lives. Our lives are not defined by the huge things we do, but many small things that combined become “big” things.

The longer that I work in the “Y” the more convinced I am that God is not impressed with the “Big Deal.” He is impressed by the many small things.

I know I will be more intentional, more attentive to the small things, and celebrate them.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment