My Book

My Book

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Just another day

Good morning,
I pray the day is finding you well.

I went to our Orchards CDC yesterday.

CDC stands for Child Development Center.

Most people do not know that the YMCA is one of the largest provider of childcare in the United States. We take care of a lot of kids.

Our Orchards center provides childcare for families that do not have a lot of extra money. In fact, it is safe to say that many of the families that call the Orchards CDC home do not have any extras. The CDC is located in the middle of a depressed area. It is safe to say that a majority of the families that utilize this CDC are on state assistance of some kind. Most of the kids that spend their days at the CDC come from single parent families, there are a number of foster kids that spend their days with us.

These are good kids.

Some of the kids that have little to nothing at home; some of these kids have parents working multiple jobs or spend their days looking for work. When they get home, these parents are depressed from a day filled with little joy. They are tired and rung out. Some of these kids have parents that came from dysfunctional families themselves.

There are kids that need someone to show them a different way to look at the world.

This is where the CDC comes in.

At the CDC, the staff works very hard with these kids; showing them how to put the Christian principles of love, respect, honesty, responsibility, and service into their everyday lives.

This is where I come in.

I get the opportunity to work with these kids.

I get the opportunity to spend time with these kids.

It isn’t glamorous work.

It doesn’t make the headlines.

My usual M.O. after I leave the CDC and these kids is to spend time alone with God, crying.

One of the hardest jobs is to let the kids know that they are going to be all right. That someone outside their family cares about them and they can receive positive love and attention.

There are kids that live in a world where they do not know what tomorrow will bring.

A world that is tough enough for an adult. A world that is overwhelming for a six-year boy or girl.

Lord, continue to give me strength. Continue to give me endurance. Continue to give me the courage to be in the midst of tough situations. Father, most of all thank you for being there with me in the midst, as you are with these kids.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment