My Book

My Book

Monday, August 19, 2013

The music of a bigger and better YMCA

Good morning,
I pray the day is finding you well.

You will have to forgive me, I am sure that I am typing louder than I need to.

We are under construction here at our YMCA. The construction crew is cutting concrete about fifteen feet from my desk. If you have ever been around a construction crew that is cutting concrete inside of a building, you know what I am talking about. If you haven’t, it is very loud. Thus I apologize for my louder than normal typing.

Growing up in Kansas was awesome, with many great sights. I am not saying that Kansas is flat or anything, but I once watched my dog run away from home for four days. Kansas also had many wonderful smells. I remember the first time I smelled a feedlot. A feedlot is a place where there are a lot of cattle all penned up on the final stage of their lives before they end up at a McDonalds, Wendy’s, Burger King…I looked over my dad and said, “What is that smell?” My dad looked at me and said, “That is the smell of money.”

I sat down at my desk this morning, to the music of a concrete saw. As I sat at my desk thinking of the things that I had on the schedule, I had the opportunity to call Brian. Brian is our Senior Director of Healthy Living. Because of the construction, his office is now an office to membership, healthy living, trainers, and storage. I was thinking about Brian. I was wondering how he was doing sharing what was at one time his space with so many people. I dialed the phone. It rings. Brian answers. He doesn’t say hello. He says, “My God, what is that noise!” I yelled into the phone so I could be heard, “It is the sound of a bigger and better YMCA.” He said, “Are you calling from your desk?” I yelled, “Yes.” Brian said, “My office is looking really good to me.”

I found some earplugs, so the sound was muffled and went to work.

Growing up on the farm taught me many things. One of the things I noticed was that after a while you stopped noticing certain smells.

Sitting at my desk, I began to notice that I did not mind the noise. I started to think of the noise much the same way that I thought about the noise when I had my motorcycle. I never minded the drone of the engine when I rode. As my perspective changed, I began to see the noise of the construction much the same way.

It became white noise.

White noise is a noise that is constant and tends to block everything else out. It allows one to meditate.
I began to meditate on being His hands and feet.

What does that look, taste and feel like. As I ruminated on this, John 4:1-26 came to mind. How Jesus even though He was very tired, worn-out from the day still took the time to talk to someone that no one else would talk to. How He, even though He was very tired, took the time to come into relationship with someone that was really an outcast. How Jesus, even though He could have said He was done for the day, showed someone compassion and love.

As I go through my day, I will remember this and not be so focused on me but keep my focus on others.

Father, thank you for giving me your nudge this morning and allowing me to see that you call me to be Your hands and feet. As I go through my day, continue to nudge me so that my heart will be broken for the things that break yours. I love you. Amen.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment