My Book

My Book

Tuesday, October 27, 2020

"If you want to walk on water, you’ve got to get out of the boat."

 Good morning,
I pray the day finds you well.

I got up this morning thinking about a book I read almost twenty years ago. The book was "If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat." by John Ortberg. 

I have thought about this book when it came to mind over the years and always causes me pause. In the book John uses the analogy of Peter walking on the water to greet Jesus. He talks bout being daring, getting out of your comfort zone. Doing something new and different for Christ. 

He says, "If you want to walk on water, you’ve got to get out of the boat."

Meaning that if you want to see change and do things that will get new results you have to stop what you are doing and take a chance. If you want to do something truly amazing like walk on water, you have to get out of the boat. 

Over the years I have wondered whether I have truly gotten out of the boat? That is the thought that haunts me.

He goes on to say, "here is a deep truth about water-walking: the fear never goes away."

Meaning, that when you go into the great unknown, totally trusting Christ, it will be a bit scary, The fear of sinking will never go away. Walk on water anyway!

Laurie (my wife) and I have felt this fear. She has expressed it in terms like, "We are going to have to eat cat food or live under a bridge.

He goes on to say, "the worst failure is not to sink in the waves. The worst failure is to never get out of the boat.

I hope I have not committed this failure. Never taking a chance. Always remaining safely in the process or business that is known and not making a real impact but keeping comfortable is the worst failure, you never got out of the boat. 

He finishes with, "I believe there are many good reasons to get out of the boat.  But there is one that trumps them all: The water is where Jesus is."

You can stay in the boat and talk about the things of God or you can emulate Peter and actually go do the things God would have you do. 

You can walk on water, you can walk toward Christ. Sure the fear of sinking will be there but God has you in His hands. 

Something to Ponder.

Blessings,

Roger


1 comment: