My Book

My Book

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

The Grace of the Mind

 Good morning,

I pray the day finds you well.

Words are important, so is proper phrasing.

I was talking with one of my work mates the other day. She has a kid in college and she was telling me about the dorm her daughter was going to go into this fall. She said, "The kitchen is so big it has a dorm in it."

I said, "That must be quite a kitchen."

She replied, "What?"

I responded, "You said, the kitchen was so big it had a dorm in it." 

She gruffed, "You know what I meant."

I laughed, I did know what she meant. But then I began to think, "How often do we say something backwards, or inside out, or incomplete."

I remember taking a reading test a long time ago and the test showed how our brains will actually correct misspellings and grammatical errors as we read.

I call that the Grace of the Mind.

I often wonder how many arguments or broken relationships have occurred because of a misunderstanding based on how we said something.

Instead of asking a clarifying question such as, "This is what I heard, is that what you meant?"

We instead believe the worst in the person and end the relationship, or at least tarnish it by not getting a clarifying thought. 

Why can't we give verbal communication the same grace we give written communication?

If we kna corrcet inn r minds waht we read wyh can't we corrcet what we here?

smothing to pnoder   

Blessings,

Roger 

No comments:

Post a Comment