My Book

My Book

Tuesday, September 22, 2020

I would have liked to hear the tree's story, but alas, I cannot talk to trees.

 Good morning,

I pray the day finds you well.

Laurie and I live by a river. 

Every so often, usually in the winter when the water is high and running fast, we watch as things go down the river to eventually be deposited in the ocean.

Every year we see at least one huge tree floating down the river, we had one the other day.

I sat and watched this tree go by. As I watched this tree I began to ponder (I like to ponder) about this tree. It was obviously old and now dead as it floated down the river, but it was once alive and vibrant. I thought about how it sprang to life as a seedling somewhere up in the mountains. How this tree had fought the deep snows of its early years, lived through rain and drought, heat and cold, summers and winters. I thought how it had seen so many things. 

I had no idea of how old this tree was (It is hard to count tree rings as a tree floats by in the river) but I knew it was at least 60 years old. 

It is funny when I stop to think that I am as old as a tree.

As I thought about this tree and the life that it lived. I thought how it dodged the loggers, averted catastrophe in its youth. 

I do not know how or why it died, and what brought it down the river. Its roots were intact and it was not cut. 

I would have liked to hear the tree's story, but alas, I cannot talk to trees. 

I am also a people watcher. I like to watch people.

I especially like to watch people when I am at the airport. People going to and fro. Some smiling, others not so much. Couples holding hands, parents chasing kids. 

As I watched the tree I thought about the airport. People going by like a tree in a river and all I know is they have a story, a story that I do not know.   

We have a saying in the YMCA, "You may know my name, but you do not know me." meaning you may know my name but you do not know my story. We try really hard to get to know people.

When we know a person's story we have a better understanding of who they are and what makes them, well them. 

As I pondered on this tree I thought about how if we actually took the time to get to know one another there might not be so much fighting, arguing, strife.

If we got to know each other and truly worked on loving each other the world would be a better place.

Maybe Heaven could even reach down and touch earth?

Something to ponder.

Blessings,

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment