My Book

My Book

Friday, March 27, 2020

Neighbors

Good morning,
I pray the day finds you well.

I have a neighbor down the road. She is an ER nurse and has a husband and a child.

During this time of pandemic she is working very hard. She is helping to save lives. She is very tired, anxious, and a bit scared.

We check on them often. Yes, we maintain our social distance. We ask them what they need. We make meals for them.

I have other neighbors that live on our little road. Some come and talk through their anxieties as well.

Most of my neighbors are what one would call "spiritual, but not religious." A vast catch-all for a variety of worldviews and thought lives. I am not put-off by their worldviews. I am not fearful of them. I listen to their thoughts. I listen to their concerns.

I do my best to bring them comfort and to show them a bit of Christ. They know that I am a Christian yet they still come to share their stuff with me.

I am reminded of something Leonard Sweet once said:

Christianity has much less to do with being “right” than it has to do with building right relationships—the strong protecting the weak, the rich serving the poor, the insiders making room for the outcasts.
Leonard Sweet, Out of the Question…Into the Mystery. (Colorado Springs: WaterBrook Press, 2004),133-4.

A funny afternote: My neighbors are starting to use my language now. They are saying Christ-like thing without even knowing they are quote Him.

God is amazing; all you have to do is show the love of Christ to people, live in congruence with His word, and He will do the rest.

We have to walk the talk, or the talk is just noise.

Have a great day, and God bless you.
Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment