My Book

My Book

Thursday, June 9, 2022

I often wonder what the world would look like if we were more outward focused?

 Good morning,

I pray the day finds you well.

I had a great meeting yesterday!

We were talking about summer kid programs and how chaplaincy can help. 

We are doing a Youth Unity Project; this project brings members of varying ethnic backgrounds together. From youth that have just immigrated to our community, to first generation youth along with youth that have been here for a while. This is a 10-week cohort that will culminate with a project that positively impacts our community.

We have our Summer Lunch Program that feeds kids at risk of hunger during the summer months when the "Hot Lunch Programs" in the schools are not running. Every year we serve thousands of meals. A few years ago we took this program on the road with one of our buses. Instead of asking kids to cross a food desert to come to an oasis, we decided to take the oasis across the food desert to them! 

We are providing food to the kids in our summer camps. Our community has a large population that is in the lower socio-economic scale. We provide more than basic access, we do our best to fill their needs as well as teach them life skills. 

At the end of every summer we have a Backpack Giveaway Event; this event provides backpacks and school supplies for those in our community that have a hard time providing these essentials for their children. Not only do we supply backpacks and school supplies, we feed them too! 

When I talk with people and they say something silly like, "Isn't the YMCA a swim and gym?"

I respond with, "While we have the best lap pool in all of SW Washington. A weight room filled with the top equipment. Some of the best studios for group exercise, a walking track and awesome gymnasium, we also:

  • Provide free swim lessons for kids that come from severe abuse and need.
  • Serve thousands of meals to hungry kids.  
  • Work with the homeless and their families.
  • Provide counseling for those going through grief and loss, low self esteem...
Did I mention we also have a pool?"

I like to tell people that we Matthew 25 people.

For I was hungry and gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.(Matthew 25-35-36)

We had a great meeting yesterday!

People think that chaplains just walk around talking to people. I like to tell my chaplains, "Talk less, do more. Just remember it's not about us."

I often wonder what the world would look like if we were more outward focused?

Do you ever think about that?

Something to ponder.

Blessings,
Roger


No comments:

Post a Comment