My Book

My Book

Wednesday, June 22, 2022

I was walking through the YMCA this morning and and I ran into Archibald, he said, "Ouch."

 Good morning,

I pray the day finds you well.

I was walking through the YMCA this morning and and I ran into Archibald, he said, "Ouch." Archibald can be dramatic. He reminded me that we had a meeting with Open House Ministries about giving their kids free swim lessons. 

Open House Ministries is an organization that works with homeless families. Open House Ministries also has a chaplain for their staff and families. A few years ago their chaplain died suddenly and I gave support while they mourned their loss, and eventually started the process of looking for and hiring a new chaplain. I was humbled and honored to be of service for them. A really cool thing that I wasn't expecting was the programs and partnerships that came out of it. 

Padme started running summer camps out of their facility. Camps that integrated houseless kids with those that had some affluence; knocking down barriers and stereotypes that become inhibitors to true relationship. 

This summer Archibald and Sophia will be giving free swim lessons to the Open House Kiddos. 

After the meeting was over Archibald reminded me that they have the lifeguard Olympics this weekend and wanted to know if I would be on their team?  I was honored that he would ask. I started asking what events I would be part of.

I asked, "Am I swimming the 100 free?

Archibald said, "No."

I asked, "What about the deep water rescue?"

Archibald said, "No."

I said, "What about the backboard spinal challenge, am I doing that?"

Archibald replied, "No, I have you slated to be the deep water victim for the Sherwood Team."

I said, "The Sherwood team, why?"

Archibald explained, "Well, the way I see it, it will take them forever to drag you out of the water and we will win!"

I said, "I think I have a violin lesson that day. What day was it again, it doesn't matter, I have a violin lesson."

Sophia, said, "Oh Roger don't worry, you can be on my team. You can be my assistant coach."

I said, "Ok, I will cancel my violin appointment."

Actually, the YMCA lifeguard Olympics will be a fun day of team building among the lifeguards from across the association; a time when we can all see we are on the same team no matter where we are housed. I think it is pretty cool.

After all, as Joseph Myers once said, "What organizations measure becomes important.  Likewise, individuals measure what they find important in their lives."[1]

If we become more adept at measuring how impactful we can be as an association wide team and not measure just individual units with-in the association, just imagine what we could get done.

Something to ponder.

Blessings,

Roger



[1]Joseph Myers, The Search to Belong, (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2003), 79. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment