My Book

My Book

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

God can be blunt, at least with me.

 Good morning,

I pray the day finds you well.

Laurie and I were in church this past weekend. Yes, occasionally I do go to church. It helps that the church is in our YMCA. Our Pastor Matt (Yes, that is his real name.) No use trying to hide it, you can google our YMCA and see Rhapsody Church easily enough. Once, you find Rhapsody Church you will see that Matt is the Pastor. I don't know why I am taking the time to tell you this. You already know how to google stuff. 

Matt was talking about the importance of your story and how you are the hands and feet of God. At the end of the service Rhapsody had a baptism. Rhapsody uses our pool for baptism's. 

As the people filed onto the pool deck, some to participate, others to witness. Archibald (our Aquatics Director)  Sophia (our Aquatics Coordinator) and I were on deck. Why was I on deck? Great question, I am so glad you asked. I too am life guard certified. In fact one of the parishioners yelled, "Roger, are you going to save me?" I replied, "God will save you, but I will pull you from the water."

Archibald (Who is a ragamuffin and has been hurt by the church and those that claim a worldview that they seem not to know how to practice.)  said, "That reminds me of a joke." I said, "Let's hear it." 

So he said:

"There was a woman who had been caught in a flood. As she was being washed away she prayed, "God Save me!" A few minutes later a boat came up and the people said, 'We are here to help you, get in the boat.' She replied, 'That is ok, God will save me.' A couple of minutes later a helicopter hovered over her and lowered a life line, which she rejected saying, 'No need, God will save me!' eventually she drowned. When she got to heaven and saw God she asked, 'Why didn't you save me?' God replied, 'I sent you a boat and then a helicopter, what more did you want me to do?'

This morning I was pondering on what to talk with you about. That is when God said, "I gave you a sermon, I gave you a wise apple parishioner. I even gave you a joke. What more do I have to give you before you take the hint." 

Yes, sometimes God can be blunt, at least with me. 

Just as Matt's sermon was God talking through him to me. Just as I got to respond to a wise cracker reminding him that it is God that saves and I am just his hands and feet. Just as Archibald's joke reminded me that God works in mysterious ways and to expect the unexpected. I too must continue to see God in the everydayness of life, for that is where He shows up most. 

So...the question I have is, "Have you seen God in the unexpected? Has He shown you a different way, a deeper question? Has He given you new eyes to see Him with?

Something to ponder.

Blessings,

Roger 

No comments:

Post a Comment