My Book

My Book

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

I am that guy that could screw up a one-man relay race.

 

Good morning,

I pray the day finds you well.

I got to the "Y" a bit early this morning and found the lap pool had open lanes; this does not happen often so I took advantage of it and went for a swim. One of the advantages of being a chaplain in the YMCA is I get to be a gym rat! I get to swim, walk the track, lift weights, play pickle ball...all of which is member engagement!! When I walk the track I am typically listening to someone, whether that someone is a staff, volunteer or a member, I am honored and humbled by the fact that I get to be present to people encourage them, and sometimes even give them some words of wisdom. When I play pickleball I get to be part of their laughter and smiles. When I am spotting someone on the weight floor I have the opportunity to give words of encouragement. All the while they are telling me their "stuff." 

Swimming is the only time I really get time to myself. Every so often I see toes at the edge of the pool, which means someone really wants to talk to me, but not very often. Swimming is one of the few times I actually get to go deep in my head and ponder things and think. This morning I was contemplating why people insist on a specific verse to help them get through or justify or reason through...whatever it is they are having a tough time with. 

Often times people will ask, "What does the Bible have to say about...?"  

Many times people are perplexed when I don't just quote a scripture verse. I am more Eugene Peterson in this way. I tend to give a larger idea rather than a specific verse. 

"Why do you do that?" you may ask.

I could go into a long rambling explanation, but Richard Foster does a much better job of explaining this than I ever could. 

Richard says:

The source of the problem is rooted in the two most common objectives people have for studying the Bible.  The first is the practice of studying the Bible for information or knowledge alone.  This may include information about particular facts or historical events, or knowledge of general truths or doctrines, or even knowledge of how others are mistaken in their religious views, beliefs, and practices.[1]

 The second common objective people often have for studying the Bible is to find some formula that will solve the pressing need of the moment.  Thus we seek out lists of specific passages that speak to particular needs rather than seeking whole-life discipleship to Jesus.[2]

 If we want to receive from the Bible the life “with God” that is portrayed in the Bible, we must be prepared to have our dearest and most fundamental assumptions about ourselves and our associations called into question.  We must humbly and in a constant attitude of repentance.[3]

Regarding the Bible, then, perhaps the most basic question is: Shall we try to control the Bible, that is, try to make it “come out right,” or shall we simply seek to release its life into our lives and into our world?  Shall we try to “tilt” it this was or that, or shall we give it complete freedom to “tilt” us as it will?[4]

I know this can cause some frustration, since (and I can only talk about me) I would find it much easier to grab a verse, any verse, twist it to fit my current need and feel better about myself. but that is not how God works. 

I am that guy that could screw up a one-man relay race. So if I try and tilt the Bible to fit my needs it never works out well. 

I will continue to do my best to let the Bible "tilt" me! After all it is journey, a Life with God.

Something to ponder.

Blessings

Roger

[1]Richard Foster, Life With God. (San Francisco: HarperCollins Publishing Company, 2008), 4.

[2]Richard Foster, Life With God. (San Francisco: HarperCollins Publishing Company, 2008), 5.

[3]Richard Foster, Life With God. (San Francisco: HarperCollins Publishing Company, 2008), 5.

[4]Richard Foster, Life With God. (San Francisco: HarperCollins Publishing Company, 2008), 7.


No comments:

Post a Comment