My Book

My Book

Wednesday, August 24, 2022

I was too busy to ponder today

Good Morning,

I pray the day finds you well.

Yesterday I shared an article that I wrote for YCP ("Y" Christian Principles Group).

I wrote this last night as I sat in the Welcome Center out at camp.

When we first talked this morning it was 5:30 am; it is now 5:30 pm and I will stay out at camp until around 7 pm. 

I arrived a little after 5 pm, and made my initial rounds. I met with two staff that I had placed in counseling after being first responders to an incident at Oxbow Park; Oxbow Park is a state park that is adjacent to the camp. Both of them are doing extremely well and I am glad I was able to help them out. 

I then met with a staff and her fiance; I had been working with them because she had been very distraught. she had asked her parents to watch her dog while she was at camp and would pick him up at the end of the summer. Her parents agreed to watch her dog.  I was called out to camp at the end of July because her parents had given her dog away without her permission, in case you are wondering, she is 20-years-old and engaged to be married (thus the fiance thing) and the dog was actually both of thiers. 

She is doing better and is accepting the loss.

Her relationship with her parents has been drastically altered, people can be so mean, so stupid. I guess that is why my work is never over.

And that is the reason I end up working 14-hour days.

We have a saying in the "Y," "this work would be so easy if it weren't for the members!" That always gets a good giggle.

By 8 am I had a staff in my office crying about a hard decision they had to make. She had come in for her daughters swim lessons, made it to my office and broke down. I called another staff who came and took her daughter to swim lessons so her daughter would not miss her lesson and it freed her mom up totell me the news. I sat with her for quite a while before she felt good enough to leave. I will be putting her and her husband in counseling soon. 

At 9:30 am started to do some more admin work; I had a 10 am meeting with Daryll and I wanted to get some things done before the meeting. 

At 9:45 am the staff that had taken the daughter to swim lessons came in and was worried about the little girl that she had been watching. She said that she was crying and refused to get in the water, which was odd for her, she loved swim lessons. I told her that the little girl was dealing with transferance. She had been with her mother when she broke down and her mother's stress and hurt had transferred to the little girl. 

I was still working with this staff until 10:17 am; it is a good thing Daryll is understanding, he should be he has been working with me for over 16-years; he knows the drill.

By 10:20 am I was in Daryll's office for our meeting. 

the meeting was going great until daryll needed a magic marker, I said I would go up to the Welcome Center and get him one. 

20-minutes later I was back in Daryll's office. 

Daryll said, "What was it this time?"

I responded, "It wasn't too bad, just a mom yelling at one of our program directors. I set a meeting with her so she could offload the stress and be her best self for others. n another staff needed me which took a few minutes, but I am here now."

People, Uggg.

Daryll and I finished our meeting and I went back to my office.

Later I held a training for the mobile food bus, we will be using it at our back to school backpack giveaway this weekend. i will be missing it as I have a commitment withone of my sons. It will be the first one that I missed in a decade. We typically give away around 300 backpacks filled with school supplies in about an hour.  We also hold a huge BBQ and feed those that attend. Poeple in our neck of the woods could always use a good meal. It is a big event, one that we spend most of the summer prepping for.

I finished the training, returned the bus to the secure storage. As proud as we are to help support the catalytic converter theft industry and the gas siffoning union there is only so much we can do, so we have to keep our bus in an offsite secure storage facility so it is running when we need it. Needless to say (I don't know why I keep saying this, since if it is needless to say, why am I saying it?) Retrieving the bus and returning the bus adds a layer of complexity to the "Mobile food bus training."

I got back from returning the bus just in time for some good old pre-marital counseling that I am doing for a wonderful couple that will be getting married soon.

we finished around 4:30 pm and I left for camp.

Here I am, we are all caught up.

I was hoping to see Willow when I got out to camp, he wanted to talk with me, but I was late and he had gone home.

I am glad that everyone at camp is doing good now. they made pizza for dinner, I think I will join them.

tomorrow is a ribbon cutting at one of our centers, I am sure I will find something to write about when I attend the cutting.

I was too busy to ponder today.

Blessings,

Roger



No comments:

Post a Comment