My Book

My Book

Wednesday, September 21, 2022

A man named Lucious, a Perkins Restaurant, and God

 Good morning,

I pray the day finds you well.

Laurie and I made it to Owatonna, Minnesota.

I cannot ever figure out why our family can't just live in places like Ames, Iowa or Kuna, Idaho; no, our family has to live in Owatonna, Minnesota and Minneapolis, Minnesota, SpearFish South Dakota, and Washougal Washinton; we do have family in Thane, Wyoming, but nobody can ever find Thane Wyoming on a map; I think it is because only five people live in Thane, Wyoming, well six now when Tao was born. 

We left SpearFish yesterday and stopped at a Perkins restaurant for breakfast. Perkins is like Elmer's, and we know how I like Elmer's, so we stopped at Perkins. I did ask Laurie if she ever dated a Perkins, but she didn't think I was funny. 

We parked the car and proceeded to walk to the door. An older gentleman, who was all by himself, walked in behind us. He was obviously traveling alone and had an aura of loneliness about him. When the hostess asked how many were in my party (Yes, Perkins is fancy dancy, it has a hostess), I said, "three." 

I turned to the gentleman behind us and asked, "Will you join us for breakfast?" 

He said, "Why thank you, that would be lovely."

Now I know why Laurie didn't date a Perkins; hostesses and well-mannered patrons are a bit much.

Lucious that was his name, came and sat with us. Lucious was a Vietnam vet and was moving to South Dakota. "The people just fit me better," he said.

We ordered our breakfast, and the conversation started.

Lucious had a different political view than we had; his worldview was basically the same but had some interesting twists to it. When he got a bit loud, we gently swung the conversation to something else. Actually, our time went like this.

I would ask, "Where are you from?"

Lucious would then go into a lengthy discourse on his life.

Laurie would ask, "How is your breakfast?"

Lucious would then go into a long discourse about food.

As the conversation went on, Laurie and I realized two things:

  1. We had life experiences that were much different than Lucious's.
  2. Lucious was very lonely. 
  3. Lucious had lived a hard life.
  4. Math is still hard.
When we finished our meal, the waitress, who looked a lot like our hostess, asked, "One check or two?"

I replied, "One, please."

Lucious said, "You don't have to do that."

I said, "I know, but I want to; I have a new friend."

Lucious smiled and said, "Thank you."

We shook hands and parted ways.

I am not sure why Lucious walked in when he did, but I do believe in an intentional God, which makes me wonder what God is up to when he brings people into my life. 

When I am intentional about looking for God in the everydayness of my life and submitting to His little nudges, I find amazing things happen.

Do you look for God in the everydayness of your life?

Something to ponder.

Blessings,
Roger



No comments:

Post a Comment