My Book

My Book

Friday, September 16, 2022

Today is the day before the big day.

 Good morning,

I pray the day finds you well.

Today is the day before the big day.

Today is the day before Hannah and Justin's wedding. It is a day full of activities, so many activities, we could do aerobics, we won't but we could. 

The groom's party starts the day with golf, and the bride's party starts the day at a spa. 

I am starting my day with you. It is still early, and the only people up are Kim and me; he is doing important work on his computer, work that involves numbers and math and stuff. I don't know how to do important work with numbers and math and stuff, so I will continue talking with you using words, commas, and stuff. 

When Hannah asked me to officiate her wedding some 15 years ago, it seemed like such a long time, yet here I am, already on the day before the big day, making sure that I have everything just right. 

Time goes by.

On the day before the day before, the big day, Katie and Kim had a dinner party for a bunch of us. Most of us hadn't seen each other in years, like a lot of years. So many years, in fact, that we did not recognize one another; that is, until we smiled and started talking. It is funny how the eyes tell a story, and a smile transcends time. 

We talked, told stories, and caught up on 20+ years of life. We talked about old people's stuff, like hip replacements and knee replacements...There was a time when we would have talked about the great adventures we planned to take. Now we talked about the great adventures that we had taken.

Actually, some of us talked about great adventures that we had taken, and others talked about the great adventures that they never got around to taking.

Today is the day before the big day. The day when Justin and Hannah start their great adventure together. 

Adventures are funny things. You think you know how your adventure is going to go; you do your best to plan for your adventure and to prepare, but adventures never go quite the way you plan them. Some people learn to adapt to their adventure as it unfolds, while others have a harder time. 

For me holding my adventure loosely in my hand has been helpful, not trying too hard to control everything, being ok with the mystery of it all.

It will be fun to watch Hannah and Justin travel their great adventure together, and it will be fun to see what happens next in mine.

What kind of adventure are you on? Is it one you had planned, or has it taken a different path?

Are you happy with your adventure, or do you need to start a different one?

Something to ponder.

Blessings,

Roger



No comments:

Post a Comment