My Book

My Book

Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Lolo and I are at Devil's Tower.

 Good morning,

I pray the day finds you well.

Lolo and I made it to Devils Tower, Wyoming, a short 644-mile drive from Missoula, Montana; more on that later, but first, I must address and correct a couple of things from yesterday's post, thank you, readers, for your ever-needed eye for detail. 

  1. Frederick the Great pointed out that I told the joke wrong; it was supposed to go, "CColorao asked Nebraska, "What will Delaware to the dance." and Nebraska responded, "Idaho, Alaska." 
  2. Frederick then asked, "If you stay in a Holiday Express, you are an expert on everything, but what if you stay in a KOA? The answer is Roger, the village idiot:) (I made that part up myself) Frederick would never say anything like that; he may think it but not say it.
  3. Gladys Kravits, the ever-nosey neighbor, noticed that I used Elizabeth when I should have used Samantha. Good catch, Gladys, now close your window shades!
  4. Lastly, Elizabeth, could you do me a huge favor and wiggle your nose and make Frederick talk like Pee-wee Herman or a duck? That would be hilarious.
Now that we have addressed everything nobody cared about, we can move on.

Lolo and I are at Devil's Tower.

With the smoke from the wildfires, Devil's Tower looks a bit like Dante's Inferno and the 9-circles of Hell.
It is an epic poem commonly referred to as "The Divine Comedy." 

I have read this book a few times, and it never seemed funny to me! (I can't wait to hear from the Literary experts Man-splaining Greek Comedy)

  • The First Circle is Purgatory (Limbo, for all of us non-Catholics)
  • The Second Circle is Lust (the 2nd definition of the word love in the Webster Dictionary, "I love my mother. but eweeuu!)
  • The Third Circle is Gluttony (Trevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvor Don't say it)
  • The Fourth Circle is Greed (Lolo and I were noticing RVs and stuff as we drove down the road. The conversation went to sporting events and fancy vacations. I asked Lolo, "Honey, are we poor and don't know it?" She just looked at me and said, "Yep, isn't it wonderful!" Like I said yesterday, " I wonder about her critical thinking skills after leaving Elmer's son for me.
  • The Fifth Circle is Wrath (Wrath comes from being wronged, which comes from anger, which comes from fear, and hurt. Hmmm, Who Moved my Cheese comes to mind.
  • The Sixth Circle is Heresy (Heresy is a funny thing; it is a truth told by those in power to those who actually think outside the box. Now don't get me wrong, I can define the Heresies in my worldview fairly well, yet at the same time, see how someone got there. Oh, these are tough times to be a shrubbier)
  • The Seventh Circle is Violence (Violence is terrible, don't do it, or you will end up in a divine comedy, which by the way, isn't funny)
  • The Eighth Circle Fraud (I think at some level we all fall into fraud. I should start a small group on fraud, maybe a few will avert the Eighth Circle)
  • The Ninth and worse Circle is Treachery (A violation of allegiance, faith, and confidence). Great, has anyone not been treacherous according to this definition?
Lolo and I are at Devil's Tower. The ancient Native American story behind Devil's Tower is that a giant bear chased some young Native Americans up the Tower, trying to eat them. The marks on the Tower are left from the Bear's claws scratching to get at them.

I know what you are thinking, "Oh, that is a silly myth."

Maybe so, but it is also a silly myth that people think they can stay in the same place, not move a muscle, not think of anything new and not grow stagnant and die. 

Yes, I am still on the Who Moved my Cheese kick; but here is a dirty little secret, I am a Certified Spiritual Director, and I know that Spiritual Transformation is a river, not a lake. A person is either moving toward or away from God; spiritual transformation is not stagnant; it is not inside a box, nor does it reside in the same place in a maze. One is always on a journey; one must always have their shoes ready, for it is a walk that one must take.

I get what Trevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvor is doing; I have been taking people on the same journey for many years; some will refuse to go on the journey, others will embrace it, and a few will follow tentatively.

The question that I have is, "Are you willing to risk, to go on the journey, or would you rather watch from the sidelines holding ever so tightly onto your myth?"

Something to think about.

Blessings,
Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment