My Book

My Book

Thursday, September 1, 2022

Let your dreams be bigger than your fears

 Good morning,

I pray the day finds you well.

Esmerelda and I met with the E.D. of the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) yesterday.

It was a great meeting; September is suicide awareness month, and we want to do some workshops around this topic for our community. 

As Esmerelda and Kamilla (Not her real name, but you know the drill) discussed the finer points of the workshop, I was so riveted that I started to read all the things that Kamilla had on the walls of her office. Neither Esmerelda nor Kamilla had any idea I had checked out of the meeting mentally as I continued to use my Chappy training to appear engaged. I used words like "ok" and "sure," as you know, code words for I am not really listening now. It is a good thing Esmerelda doesn't read my blog, or she would be really mad at me, since I use those words a lot when we talk.

As I looked around the room, my eyes fell on a quote it read, "Let your dreams be bigger than your fears."

I love that quote.

I started to think of things I am afraid of:

  • I am not afraid of dying
    • I am a bit nervous of the transition process. I am lazy; I want to fall asleep and wake up in Heaven.
    • I don't want to outlive my children, or for that matter, any of my loved ones; that would be horrible.
    • I have always been afraid of losing my mind, but I think that ship has already sailed.
Then I started to think of things I thought I would be afraid of but am not:
  • Losing my job
    • I have lost jobs before, and life went on. I have even been fired once; thank God I am friends with a sasquatch; that is a story in itself.
  • Getting cancer
    • I had cancer, and I found it very enlightening about life, mission, big stuff and little stuff.
Actually, the more I think about it, I have never really been afraid of things. I don't know why; I chalk it up to being the village idiot.

When it comes to being a chaplain and coming up with new and exciting/crazy programs to help our community, I have no fear at all.
I get a lot of:
  • What if it doesn't work?
  • What if people don't like it
I could go on, but I got bored listing things.

My usual answer is, "It might not work, but what if it does? Look at the good we could do."

As I go through life, the only constant I can see is, change. 

So if the change is inevitable, embrace the change and let your dreams be bigger than your fears.

Something to ponder.

Blessings,
Roger




No comments:

Post a Comment