My Book

My Book

Friday, July 22, 2022

Do you like surprises?


Good morning,
I pray the day finds you well.

We had another one of our famous ZOOM meetings yesterday. 

These meetings have become so famous that Trevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvor can't even go out to dinner anymore without him giving someone an autograph. 

Not that anyone ever asks for one before he gives them one anyway, but that is irrelevant. 

Trevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvor opened the meeting with, "Tell me the last time you were surprised?"

We all took our turn telling of the last time we were surprised. Well, everyone except for Darryl. 

Darryl just said, "Roger, tell the group the last time I was surprised."

Darryl is famous for passing the proverbial torch to someone else when asked a question.

The only flaw in Darryl's plan was that he asked me to tell the group the last time he was surprised. 

I concocted a whole long story about a chicken, a duck, and a bowl of mud. By the time I got done, Trevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvor was lying on the ground with tears of laughter, and Darryl had that look of, "If this wasn't a ZOOM meeting, you would be dead." I just sat there and smiled. 

The reason for the question was that Trevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvor was setting us up to be surprised. 

Our association had been selected to participate in a national cohort focusing on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion; how cool is that? 

It will be a year-long study with an overall plan that will take 3-years. 

You know your "Y" is doing great things when the Y-USA picks you to do something; we tend to get picked a lot. 

I am really proud of our people; our people make up our association, and it is because of them that we get the things done that we do. Don't get me wrong, we know we have a long way to go on the DEI front, but we aren't afraid to take that good, hard look in the mirror and see where we can improve. 

It will be fun to walk this journey.

Some 2,000 years ago, a man walked a similar journey with a group of people. He walked alongside those that had been marginalized, those that had been made to feel less than. He took their hands and told them he loved them. He fed them and taught them. He healed them and gave them hope. 

Those in power didn't like him.

He was busy upsetting the apple cart. 

It was an arduous journey he took.

I sure am glad he took that journey because he saved me in the process. 

I will do my best to emulate him. 

I will do my best to come alongside the marginalized.

I will do my best to sit with those that have been made to feel less than.

I remember something someone once said:

"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
For they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
For they shall be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake,
For theirs is the kingdom of heaven"

I will remember this as I go through my day, and I will ponder.

Do you ever ponder the things of God? 

Do you ever wonder what your role is in bringing heaven to earth?

Do you ever think about these things?

Something to ponder.

Blessings,
Roger





No comments:

Post a Comment