My Book

My Book

Friday, July 1, 2022

You can't fit a round peg into a square hole

 Good morning,

I pray the day finds you well.

God has been pestering me lately. 

He wants me to talk about circles and squares. I told him that I have already talk about that, and He said he wants me to talk about it again, Uggg. Fine, it is like He is the boss or something. 

Quick question, does anybody else ever argue with God or am I the only one? 

You can't fit a round peg into a square hole; just another old adage that is used to describe something that is so different that it just won't work. We use it when we talk about all sorts of stuff, one of which is people, "That person just doesn't fit here." 

You can't fit a round peg into a square hole.

I know what you are saying, "Yes, you can it just needs to be small enough." Ok Einstein, you are correct, lets just go with the adage on this one so I can get God off my back. 

Quick question, "How many degrees are there in a circle?"

Answer, 360 degrees.

Another question, "How many degrees are there in a square?"

Answer, 360 Degrees.

Yet, another question, "How many degrees are there in a triangle?"

Answer, 180 degrees.

And Yet, another question, "How many triangles does it take to make a square?"

Answer, 2. 

So you see, a circle and a square have that in common.

More questions, "What is a circle made up of?"

Answer, "A bunch of tiny straight lines with very obtuse angles."

Yes, it is true. If you were to put a circle under a theoretical mathematic electron microscope you would see a bunch of straight lines. 

Straight lines, angles, and degrees, quite a lot in common.

Both of them even have an inside and an outside.

Circles and squares actually have many things in common. In fact, they have more in common than they have differences. 

"Hey, what about triangles?" you ask. 

Nothing really I just threw them in because I think it is cool that two of them make a square and a square is a lot like a circle.

So why do we have that old adage, "You can't fit a round peg in a square hole?"

It is simply because the person saying it isn't in relationship with one, or the other, or even possibly both of them.   

From a distance, it would appear that a circle and a square are very different. But, when you get to know them, you see they are very much alike. 

God has been pestering me to talk with you about this because He loves all of His creation and is saddened to see people that actually have so much in common look at each other as squares and circles; placing people in categories and labeling them as "Not us." 

Why can't we see the commonality in each other, celebrate the things that are different, all the while knowing we have more in common than not. Give each other Grace and work on loving our neighbor.

Something to ponder.

Blessings,

Roger 


No comments:

Post a Comment