My Book

My Book

Monday, July 25, 2022

Friends are a lot like pimples

 Good morning,

I pray the day finds you well.

I got to the "Y" this morning; I did my initial walk-through and saw that the roll-up door to the auditorium needed to be closed for camps. I helped set up the teen center for another camp and then came up to my office to write a bread and talk with you. 

I started my computer, and as it powered up ("Y" computers can take a while to power up; I am not sure why I think it must be because they were bought in 1992), my friend Dan stopped by, and we chatted. Then, as I was busy getting my emails up, yes, I said emails. I have my YMCA email and my university email. As they were booting up, another friend stopped by and started talking about losing a friend and feeling alone. 

We talked for a while. 

As we talked, I recounted a time in my life that was lonely and not very fun. I talked about how I wasn't looking for a relationship, but one came out of nowhere. How Laurie and I met by chance, and I didn't see her coming. 

I told my friend that friends are a lot like pimples. 

How are you living your life, and then one day you look in the mirror, and there is a big red pimple on your face? Where did that come from?

Friends can be like a pimple; you are busy living your life, and then one day, you discover that you have a friend! 

I told my friend how one day Laurie said, "We have been dancing around the "L" word for a while. Why don't you just tell me you love me?"

I responded, "Why don't you tell me you love me?"

Laurie looked at me and said, "Ok, I love you!"

I responded in typical Roger fashion and yelled, "I love you too, but I have baggage!!!"

Laurie just laughed and said, "Boy do I know that!"

As I told this story to my friend, I thought about God. 

So often, people don't want to talk to God because they have baggage; their baggage is holding them back. 

God says, "I know you love me; why don't you just say it."

People respond, "Why don't you tell me you love me?"

God says, "Ok, I love you!" 

People say, "I love you too, but I have baggage!"

God responds, "Boy don't I know that."

She said she tried telling a friend at church about her loneliness. 

Her friend told her, "All we need is God."

I said, "While this is theologically true, I think that it is a cop-out statement; kind of like when you tell someone about a pressing need and they say they will pray for you. Can't you pray and help me move too?" 

I went on to say, "Yes, all we need is God, that is true. I also know we need air to breathe, water to drink, and having toilet paper at the appropriate time is always nice as well."

I will walk close to my friend as she navigates this time in her life. 

I remember when I needed someone to walk alongside me when life was hard. I will pay this forward. 

Have you ever needed someone to walk alongside you during a difficult time?

Have you ever walked alongside someone else during their time of need? 

By the way, Laurie and I didn't meet by chance. God knew what He was doing all along. It was I who didn't know. 

Something to ponder.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment