My Book

My Book

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

1988 called it wants its socks back

Good morning,
I pray the day finds you well.

It has been very warm lately, some would say hot.

Typically I wear long pants, a dress shirt, you know business attire.

In this new Covid-19 environment, along with the heat, I decided to wear shorts.

I arrived at the "Y", went through the Covid-19 protocol/gauntlet to get in. I put my lunch in the fridge, sat down at my desk and the phone rang.

The voice on the other end said, "This is 1988. I have been looking for my socks and I see that you are wearing them! I want my socks back!!!"



I said, "Good morning Norm."

He just laughed.

It is funny how we present ourselves.

The clothes we wear.
The way we talk.
The way we react to things.

I love how we are all different. I like to say, "As wonderful and amazing as I am, a world made of just me would be astoundingly boring."

It is true, I will speak for only me. I need diversity in my world.

I like vanilla ice cream.
I like chocolate ice cream.
I love Neapolitan ice cream.

As I do my walk with cancer, and spend time on the dairy farm with my cancer buddies, I notice that cancer is an equal opportunity disease.

On the farm there is:
Old and young.
Women and men.
Fat and skinny.
All colors.
All worldviews.

Cancer doesn't care.

On the farm we:
Talk together.
Cry together.
Laugh together.

On the farm we don't care where we came from or what we believe. We don't care about the color of our skin or our sexual orientation.

On the farm we:
Love on one another.
Lift each other up.

I am always amazed by my friends on the farm.

I am troubled by the thought of, "If a bunch of people that look mortality square in the face can love on one another why can't the rest of us do the same? After all we are dying of something."

Something to ponder.

Blessings,
Roger


3 comments: