My Book

My Book

Friday, April 24, 2020

I hate change! Someone said that once

Good morning,
I pray the day finds you well.

I was in an almost meeting yesterday with our CEO, he brought up our Daily Breads. He thought we should change the name to "Daily picking on Trevor bread for Ragamuffins."

Thoughts?

Later that day, almost sounds like a movie Segway (Oops, I said almost, it must virtually sound like a movie Segway.) I was talking with one of the staff I will call her Jennifer (not her real name but as I say, a good story is always better with a name.) and she seemed upset.

I asked her, "Have I offended you?"

She said, "No."

I then asked, "Have I made you mad?"

She said, "No."

I then asked (because I am good at this stuff and can, if I am really paying attention, tell when people are mad at me; like my wife, she was only mad at me for a week and 3-days before I noticed she was mad. She was then mad at me for 2-things:
1. The original reason for being mad.
2. The fact I didn't notice for a week and 2-days.

Like I said, I am good at this stuff.

Jennifer, you seem distant and when you talk you are to the point.

She responded, "I hate change, and that is all we have right now is change. I make plans and work plans. Now I always have to change plans, which makes it seem as if I don't have a plan.

Oh, the mind of a Program Director.

The funny thing about the "Y" is that we are change agents. It is deeply imbedded in our Mission Statement, it is in our mantra's, we talk about how good we are at being an agent of change; yet, when we are forced to change because of circumstance, we hate change.

Oh these are tough times to be a shrubbier!

Back to Trevor (Yes, in case you hadn't noticed, that was a Segway)

Trevor loves change. It is because he understands being a change agent. He likes to say when he meets people, "Hi, my name is Trevor and I save lives."

The "Y" saves lives, now more than ever.

The way we provide that change is changing (see what I did there? I thought it was kinda cool).

Jennifer will be alright. We will have changed our summer camps into an Academy (her idea later in the evening and then emailing us. Yes, she was working late, not because she has to, but because she lives this stuff.) A change in the programming that will be as big as when we changed our ChildWatch babysitting service into "Y-Time; where kids learn and play". A true program in which we teach kids. Imbedded in that teaching is love, respect, honesty, responsibility and service.

The "Y-Academy" will do this as well.

Change is hard.

Someone once said," people will not change until the pain of change is less than the pain of remaining the same." I believe this to be true.

At the "Y" we just want to lesson the pain.(sp? Not sure lesson is a real word for what I am using it for, I heard it a lot as a kid growing up in Kansas, "Oh the horse kicked you in the head? Here put this mud on your head, it will lesson the pain." maybe it is a Kansas thing.)

Should I spell Trevor will 1-v or 2-v's (Just seeing if our CEO is reading all the way tot he end:)

Blessings,
Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment