My Book

My Book

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

I took an almost class yesterday

Good morning,
I pray the day finds you well.

I took a virtual class yesterday. It was Virtual High Fitness with Mary!

While it was a virtual class or should I say:
-Nearly a class
-Almost a class
-not completely a class

In the strictest definition of the word.

-The sweat felt real.
-The lack of oxygen in my lungs felt real.
-This morning my sore muscles feel real.

Hmmm, so this "almost a class" feels very real to me this morning.

During the "nearly a class" I felt really free. Free to:
-Not have to know the choreographed moves and do my own thing.
-Make funny faces when the "nearly a class" got hard.
-Flail my arms around and dance to the music.

When I had finished the not "completely a class" I looked at my Garmin watch I had:
-Worked out for an hour, without leaving my home.
-Over 6,000 steps on my tracker.
-Pulled a hammy, actually I didn't but I thought it was funny (Much different than the cloud remark)

Bonny called me later to ask how the class went.

I said, "I loved it! I didn't feel self-conscious at all. When I didn't know the moves I could just flail around until I figured them out."

Bonnie responded, "I really liked the flailing of the arms part." Yes she could see me in the virtual class. Which raised a another set of questions in my mind (it is loud in my head).

Since Bonnie could see me in the virtual class does that mean I was:
-Nearly a participant
-Almost a participant
-not completely a participant

Things you can think about when you are not worried about looking cool in a Virtual high Fitness with Mary.

This whole exercise, and I mean exercise in the sense of trying something new, not the exercise where I flail my arms a lot, got me to thinking.

Since it is easier to be me when I don't think anyone is judging my performance, all-be-it in a gym this time. How much easier is it to relax and just be with God When you are not worried about singing off key, or "Is now the right time to raise my hands?" Do I sit or stand? Where do I sit? or in the Russian Orthodox tradition, "Am I standing in someone's spot?" Which actually happened to me once. The next time I went I was informed that I could stand there now because Martha was in Palm Springs that week.

Maybe, this whole Covid-19 Worship experience with the virtual church has some upside to it?

Maybe, since we are stuck at home anyway, we can be more intentional, less restricted, about our conversations with God.

This coming Sunday when I go to my virtual church service, you know the one:
-Nearly a service
-Almost a service
-not completely a service

I will:
-Do more flailing
-Sing louder offkey
-Dance like no-one is watching

After all the important thing is to talk with God, not hold back because I am afraid of looking foolish.

I am going to take an almost class again today, after all the YMCA is working on my insecurities as they work on my fitness. Maybe, they can help you too.

Something to ponder.

Blessings,
Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment