My Book

My Book

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

A little Simon and Garfunkel

Good Morning,
I pray the day finds you well.

When you're weary, feeling small
When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all, all
I'm on your side, oh, when times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

People often ask, "What is chaplaincy?"

I tell them, "Have you ever heard that Simon and Garfunkel song, Bridge over troubled water?"

This song is the essence of chaplaincy, at least it is for me.

Chaplaincy, at least to me, is the embodiment of Jesus. It is literally being His hands and feet.

Chaplaincy, at least to me, is not conforming to a set of denominational rules.

When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you
I'll take your part, oh, when darkness comes
And pain is all around
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

Chaplaincy, at least to me, is coming along side those that need the coming along side of.

Chaplaincy, at least to me, is more than simply praying for someone. I can talk with God as I give a helping hand or a voice for the voiceless.

Sail on silver girl
Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way
See how they shine
Oh, if you need a friend
I'm sailing right behind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind

Chaplaincy, at least for me, has a bit of spiritual direction and emotional support in it. I get to help people see how God is working in their lives and that, what ever this is, it is only temporary.

But if they need a friend I am right there.

Chaplaincy, at least for me, is not a 7-Eleven type of experience. One does not just go in buy a big gulp and leave. No, chaplaincy is more of a long term type of thing.

Why am I a chaplain in the YMCA?

In the "Y" we like to say we are from cradle to grave. Another way of saying, "We walk with you through a life lived."

Chaplaincy, at least for me, Walks with people through a life lived, and there isn't a better place to do that than in the "Y".

There will be many "troubles waters" in our lifetime. I will do my best to be that bridge over them.

I know Trevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvor is singing right now (it is what he does).

Blessings,
Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment