My Book

My Book

Thursday, June 11, 2020

Trevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvor makes a statement

Good morning,
I pray the day finds you well.

Our CEO Trevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvor and a team of people at the YMCA of Columbia-Willamette have come together and written a statement regarding the events of the near past.

I am so glad they did!

Here is the statement:

The YMCA of Columbia-Willamette stands in unity with all who are protesting the killing of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and countless other black men and women across our nation. We support the drive to equity and justice and believe that Black Lives Matter.
We are listening, curious, and devoted to taking responsibility in benefitting from racial injustice in our community, and will no longer stand idle in the face of these inequities. We proclaim through our core values of love, respect, honesty, responsibility and service that our Y is truly FOR ALL, and commit to the following:
· We will listen more closely to those whose voices haven’t been heard.
· We will stand up and speak out against injustices.
· We are dedicated to removing any institutional systems or barriers that result in discrimination.
· We will create a passionate culture of diversity and inclusion for our staff, our members, and our volunteers.

Trevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvor also said:

Regarding the statement, I've heard some of you say it's too late. I've heard some of you feel it isn't strong enough. I've heard some feel it doesn't say enough. I truly appreciate your comments and please continue to share with me.

I offer though this quote for you to ponder;
"The real difference between the United States and other nations lies not in the words of the preamble to the Constitution, but in the fact that the substantive clauses are enforced by individuals independent of and not beholden to the elected branches."

His recognition that there are many in the room with a variety of feelings, shows not only his emotional intelligence but also his willingness to not only listen but that those speaking have been heard.

I am proud to be part of such a committed team that is focused on loving their community.

Blessings,
Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment