My Book

My Book

Thursday, June 18, 2020

Anybody out there that wants to help me feed hungry kids?

Good morning,
I pray the day finds you well.

A mobile food truck. What if the YMCA (the"Y") took meals to people in need?

That was the question I posed to my buddy Jamison who runs the free meals program for Portland Parks and Rec. He loved the idea.

I posed the same question to my friend Becci who runs the free meals program for Clark County Washington, she loved the idea too.

We have plenty of locations that if you go to them they will feed you. What we don't have is food that will travel to those communities that do not have a location in them.

I quote Richard Foster all the time, "Self-righteous service is, here I am. This is what you need, so this is what I will provide. True service is, here I am. I do not know what you need, tell me, I do not know if I can provide it, but I will try."

Self-righteous service is saying, "We provide meals but you have to come to us."

When we asked the community they said, "Having places to go to get a meal is great, but we have kids that cannot get to those meal sites. We need a meal site that comes to us."

We said, "Ok, we heard you. We do not know if we can do that, but we will try.

So we went to work.

We have the opportunity now to feed kids that are going hungry in our most desperate Neighborhoods in our community.

We will partner with the food/meal groups.

We will reallocate a bus/van.

We will get volunteers.

We will find money to do this.

We will feed hungry kids.

We will feed hungry kids because it is the right thing to do.

I know all the metrics on how kids that are well fed do better in school/society.

We will feed kids because they are hungry, but we will also come into right relationship with them and their families.

Why do we do these things?

We do these things because that is what Jesus did.

Anybody out there that wants to help me feed hungry kids?

Something to ponder.

Blessings,
Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment