My Book

My Book

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Things I have learned from a Chinese menu.

Good morning,
I pray the day finds you well.

It is raining today.

I like the rain, it is like God is giving the world a shower. The pollen gets knocked to the ground, the air smells fresh and new. The plants seem like they like the fresh drink.

Now don't get me wrong, I like the sun as well. A nice sunny day is the best day for a canoe ride.

But I can still find plenty of fun stuff to do in the rain. Hiking in the rain is not bad at all. And working in my office always feels a bit cozier when it is raining. In fact, I don't mind working in my office when it is raining; as opposed to working in my office on a nice sunny day, which can be hard.

I have heard myself say, "Ugggg, it is such a nice sunny day I wish I was outside." I do not seem to say that when it is raining, just say-in.

I know some people don't like the rain. It gives them the blues.

I seem to get more counseling done on rainy days.

I have a friend who suffers from melanoma, he is afraid of the sun. He actually prefers drizzly days.

I guess we are all different.

Whether it is the weather we prefer, or the food that we eat, or the things we like to do, we all have different opinions on things.

And that is ok.

Things I have learned from a Chinese menu.

They have Mandarin Chinese food.
They have Cantonese Chinese food.
They have hot, spicy food.
They have mild food.
They even have an American option on the menu.

Have you ever wondered why a Chinese restaurant would have so many options?

Because they have learned that not everyone likes Mandarin Chinese food, or Cantonese Chinese food, or Chinese food altogether.

They have also learned that when families, or a group of people come in to eat, that this disparity of food preferences exists in the family or group. The restaurant doesn't care what your food preference is, they just want you all to eat in their restaurant.

The Chinese restaurant listened to the people in their community and gave them the "Chinese restaurant" experience they wanted.

If a Chinese restaurant can listen to the people in its community so can we.

We need to do a better job of listening.

When I say we I mean me, you, us, our communities, our organizations...all of us need to listen.

It is only through listening that we can become more like a Chinese menu.

Which will give people the feeling that we are one.

Something to ponder.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment