My Book

My Book

Thursday, May 26, 2022

Katie and Dilbert sitting in a church k-i-s-s-i-n-g

 Good morning,

I pray the day finds you well.

Yesterday was "National Wine Day."

The moment I saw what day it was my thoughts went straight to Trevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvor. 

Trevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvor, "Two guys walk into a bar."

Me, "Oh crap not another 'two guys walk into a bar' joke. I mean ok." 

Just remember that "sure" and "ok" are chappy code words for, not listening right now.

Trevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvor, "You would have thought they would have wined about it."

Me, "Uggg...."

I can't wait to hear Frederick the Great's version. 

Yesterday was "National Wine Day."

When I was growing up in that little town in the upper left corner of Kansas I went first to the Lutheran church and then later to the Methodist church. So when people ask me what church I was raised in I say either Metheran or Lutherist. 

People usually stop talking to me after that. One person said, "I think you must have been raised Moron."

I didn't understand what he was talking about, so I quit talking to him.

When I was still attending the Lutheran church I started bringing my little sister Katie. I thought it was because I was such a spiritual influence on her life. Looking back I think it was because of Dilbert, a boy she liked to talk to. One day I caught Katie and Dilbert talking really close together, so close their lips were touching! It must have been really loud outside, or they had a secret they were sharing and didn't want anyone else to know. I couldn't think of what else it possibly could have been. 

One day I asked Katie what she saw in Dilbert? She just looked at me and said, "Dilbert doesn't have 11 fingers or 12 toes, and Dilbert doesn't drool. 

Did I ever mention there wasn't a wide selection of boys in that little town, most were related to each other. Looking back, that might explain a lot of things. 

Later when I decided to go the Methodist church, Katie stayed in the Lutheran church. I always thought it was because of Dilbert or consubstantiation or some other simple thing like that. 

After high school I went off to college and Katie went to work for a bank in Wyoming. She broke up with Dilbert and a few years later Dilbert married his sister. They have a bunch of kids now, and are doing great, some can even talk and spell their names. 

One day after college I was visiting Katie in the "Frontier State."

I asked Katie, "Why did you remain Lutheran and not move over to the Methodist church when I did? was it doctrine, or their particular belief in the Trinity? Was it the Eucharist? Their hymnal?"

Katie said, "No."

I asked, "What was it then?"

Katie said, "The wine, the Lutheran church used real wine, not grape juice. I stayed for the wine."

I replied, "I guess if you hadn't dated Dilbert so long you wouldn't be a drunk now."

Yesterday was "National Wine Day."

I should just get off this "National Something Day" instead of just whining about it. 

Why is it we feel the need to always celebrate something? Can't we just celebrate the fact the Jesus died for our sins, rose again so we may have everlasting life, and continue to be in relationship with us forever. 

Isn't that enough to cause us to celebrate?

I am going to ponder this for a while. 

Will you ponder it too?

Blessings,

Roger

 


No comments:

Post a Comment