My Book

My Book

Monday, May 9, 2022

Long time caller first time listener

 Good Morning,

I pray the day finds you well. 

It was 9am Sunday morning. I had family, and relatives coming to the house and Laurie and I were busy preparing for them. I was washing windows, getting things in order...all the things one does before people arrive to their house and then go through the process of destroying it all over again. 

I was busy doing the things Laurie told me to do, I am good that way. Laurie tells me I would be better if I just did them without her prodding. My response is always the same, "If I say I am going to do it I will. You don't need to nag me every 6-months!" 

Anyway, I was busy doing the things Laurie told me to do when my phone rang. I answered the phone and Rusty Bent was on the line. rusty is a faithful Bread follower; in Ragamuffin fashion he said, "Hey I am a long time caller first time listener."  

I said, What's up Rusty?"

Rusty asked, "Are you at the YMCA?"

I said, "No."

He said, "Why not?"

Putting aside the fact that it was 9am on a Sunday morning, and the perception that I do live at the YMCA. the fact is, I do go home once in a while (Usually to do the things Laurie tells me to do). 

I said, "I have family in town and more coming in on a plane. Laurie has me do chores."

Rusty said, "Sounds like you should be at the YMCA."

I responded, "What is it that you need? And don't ask for Trevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvor's autograph again." 

Rusty said, "I have a bunch of bottled water and some energy bars that I want to donate to the "Y," is anyone there to take them?

I said,  "Yes there is. I will let them know you are coming"

I called Esmeralda. She said, " Great I will meet him out front."

Rusty got to the "Y" and Esmeralda met him at the front door. rusty (Not knowing who was helping him) said, "Do you read the Daily Bread for Ragamuffins?" 

Esmeralda replied, "Yes, yes I do." 

Rusty went on to say how he loved the "I should have gone to the bathroom before we left" Bread. And asked if she had read it? 

Esmeralda replied, "Well, I am Esmeralda, so yes, I read the bread." 

Rusty was star struck.  

He called me after he delivered the water and energy bars and said, "Esmeralda is a gem!" 

I said, "I know!"

There is an old YMCA saying that goes, "If you have seen one 'Y' you have seen one 'Y'." Meaning that every "Y" is a reflection of the community that the have been placed in. 

Our "Y" has been busy teaching the community that it has been placed in to truly love it's neighbor. When you see our "Y" you see a "Y" that is busy loving on its neighbor, and the community is actually reflecting that love back on the "Y". It is a pretty cool place to be.

When I ponder our "Y" and our place in our community, I cannot help but also ponder about me and my place in our community. What am I reflecting? I ask that question a lot.

Do you ask that question?

Something to ponder.

Blessings,

Roger


No comments:

Post a Comment