My Book

My Book

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Yesterday was "World Turtle Day."

 Good morning,

I pray the day finds you well.

Yesterday was "World Turtle Day"!

When I walked into the "Y" and saw the sign, my mind went to three places:

  1. Making stupid dad turtle jokes.
    1. What did the Turtle say Monday morning?
      1. Wow, I had a shell of a weekend!
    2. What did the old wise turtle say to the new turtle on the block?
      1. Don't stick your neck out!
    3. Why did the Turtle cross the road?
      1. He was chasing the chicken!
  2. Frederick the Great, he would come up with some great (that is why he is great) stupid dad jokes.
  3. Trevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvor
    1. A turtle walks into a bar and orders a drink. The bartender says, "You're not getting another drink in this bar until you shell out some money!
Yesterday was "World Turtle Day."

The thing about turtles is they don't get into a hurry. We have all heard the story about the tortoise and the hare. We have all heard the adage, "Slow and steady wins the race." How many times have you heard me say, "It is a marathon, not a sprint." I think this bread is going to be a marathon, it could turn into a slow read. 

Spiritual formation is also a marathon and not a sprint. In fact, this is an endeavor in which you never truly arrive this side of eternity. I have met a few people that have claimed to have reached complete sanctification in their lives, but I am not so sure. The fact that they feel the need to tell me gives it a feel of pride, so I think there is more work to be done. 

One day a friend of mine and I were at a ministry celebration (Kind of like the Oscars with lifetime achievement awards). The fact that we feel the need to have one of these events goes to show that we don't do a good job of listening to Paul about humility, or Jesus for that matter, "Don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing."  The presenter called one of the "award" winners to the podium, and as he walked up, the presenter talked about all the wonderful things that he had done for Jesus. When the man got to the podium he turned looked out at the crowd and announced, "I have achieved complete sanctification!" 

I turned to my friend and said, " If that were true would he feel the need to tell us?"

My friend just looked at me and replied, "I want to ask his wife!"

We had a good chuckle over that one. 

The more I learn, the more I realize I do not know.  

I often wonder what I will know once I get to heaven? I also wonder, if it is true that I will have all my questions answered and no longer see through the glass darkly, as Paul puts it, if I will feel the need to tell anyone? 

Yesterday was "World Turtle Day."

I will continue to meander slowly through this life on earth and try my best not to hurry. 

Eventually, I might be lucky enough to come out of my shell! I couldn't help one last bad pun. 

How are you going through life? Is it a sprint, or a slower pace? Are you still on the journey, or have you arrived?

Something to Ponder.

Blessings,
Roger

  

No comments:

Post a Comment