My Book

My Book

Friday, May 13, 2022

This morning it was pipes, valves, water pressure and all things plumbing

 Good morning,

I pray the day finds you well.

I got to the "Y" this morning a few minutes early today. I had a 7am meeting so instead of getting here at 6:45am I got here at 6:15am. It is amazing what you see getting to the "Y" at different times. this morning I was privy to a conversation between Sabastian and a member that swims in the mornings before work. 

Evidently Cliff (Not his real name, and I am using Cliff, as in Cliff Clavin, from the old T.V. show "Cheers" simply because he reminds me of him) is quite the expert on lots of things, this morning it was  pipes, valves, water pressure and all things plumbing. he was pontificating on electrolysis, anodes, and shower valves. Sabastian didn't interrupt. In fact, he had that "I'm so interested in what you are saying" face on that I thought I was looking at myself in the mirror. Obviously, Sabastian had been watching me work unbeknownst. 

As I listened to Cliff's riveting diatribe, I was actually inspired by how the members care and feel ownership to the "Y" they call home. Yes, of course there still are those that complain about this, and that, but we're getting less of the complainers and more of the "I can helpers",

We have been working on teaching a community to truly love its neighbor for quite a while now. It is cool to see it coming back at us. 

We have a homeless community that has become truly part of our family. They have full memberships and have taken ownership of our "Y". They police the parking lot, picking up trash and volunteering in other areas. Some have applied for jobs at our "Y", I don't know where in the process they are, but I love the fact that we are connected and walking life together. 

When I think about all the great things that are going on in our "Y" I cannot help but think of the words of Paul, "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:32)

I am also drawn to Jesus when asked, "Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" 

Jesus answered, "Love the lord God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind; and, love your neighbor as yourself."

When I asked what is it that the "Y" does well, I always answer, "We do a lot of things well, but what we do best is love on people."

We are really good at loving our neighbor, it is nice to see our neighbor loving us back.

I wonder if I am missing anything?

Something to ponder.

Blessings,

Roger


No comments:

Post a Comment