My Book

My Book

Friday, May 15, 2020

I thought I heard something

Good morning,
I pray the day finds you well.

I thought I heard something.

I thought I heard my brakes going out the other day. I called my buddy Blair (He owns the auto shop that I go to) and said, "I can hear the squealers on the brakes. Time to get them fixed." So Blair fit me right in the next day. Blair is really good at getting me right in, much the same way a dentist isn't.

Anyway, I drove my Jeep, it is a twenty-three year old Jeep (at this point it is just part of the family) to the auto shop and had my wife Laurie pick me up in my fancy Dodge Grand Caravan, it is a twenty-one year old Dodge Grand Caravan (at this point it too is part of the family).

As we drove away Laurie asked, "How much is this going to cost? Brakes are expensive." Now you know why we have cars that have become part of the family. Laurie says she is frugal, I think she is just cheap. Just say-in.

I replied, "It will cost us around $200."

Laurie responded, "Ugg, that hurts."

I said, "One of the benefits of getting older is wisdom. When we are young and we hear the squealers on the brakes we say 'Oh heck (well maybe not heck, but you get the point.) the brakes are going out. I will get them fixed eventually." and we wait too long and then there are really brake troubles that require turning of drums or drum replacement...and the cost is $1,000".

Getting older and gaining wisdom is good.

Laurie agreed. She said, "We need to do it anyway and it is better to do it now before it really costs us money."

I was feeling pretty smart!

The next day I get a call from Blair.

He said, "Hey Rog, (He calls me Rog) It wasn't the squealers you were hearing. It was the calipers welded to the drum. I have to replace both front brakes and rear brakes and turn the drums. It will cost over $800."

So much for being Wise. Being Wise doesn't do you much good when you are too deaf to hear the squealers.

This got me to thinking.

Gaining Wisdom also requires good hearing. It is not enough to have wisdom of God, you also have to be able to hear what he is telling you.

Faith without works is dead (I read that somewhere).

Wisdom without hearing God speak isn't wise at all. It is just doing what you think you should do.

In the book of Revelation God says over and over again, "Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

It is good that God can speak in a variety of ways and I don't have to really on old ears alone.

If you have been trying to hear God's voice and only using your ears, and you haven't heard anything, try using another method. Maybe your ears are broken too.

God can speak to you in many ways. He can even use a homeless person.

Listen for God. Listen using your whole self, not just your ears and you will hear Him because He is talking to you.

Something to ponder.

Blessings,
Roger

1 comment: