My Book

My Book

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

We are Better together

Good morning,
I pray the day finds you well.

I was watching the news this morning and they had the question of the day. They asked, "What habit did not become popular until 1945?"

The answer was brushing your teeth.

I pondered that for a moment.

I got to thinking, "While brushing one's teeth has been around for a very long time, archeologists and anthropologists have found evidence of people brushing their teeth for over 1000 years, why has it only been for the last 75 years that it has been deemed popular?"

Of course popular is a funny word, it denotes that many people like it, or do it.

Kind of like reading and writing. We pretty much take for granted that people can read and write.

Archeologists and anthropologists have found evidence of writing (which also denotes reading, only an idiot would write something that no-one could read), yet we also know that until the turn of the twentieth century most people could not read or write.

In other words reading and writing did not become popular until the turn of the twentieth century.

We take brushing our teeth almost for granted these days. It has become a societal norm.

Yet it hasn't been a norm for very long. Long enough however, to become a trivia question on the morning news.

We are in the midst of a pandemic.

Things are achangin. I wish I could remember the movie I heard that phrase in; I am sure it was a western though.

We no longer shake hands; we bump elbows. I wonder if that will actually catch on, or go the way of the Dodo bird after awhile?

We do a lot of virtual meetings.

I can see getting up 50 years from now turning on the news and seeing the question, "What year did Virtual Meetings become popular?"

Answer 2020.

Actually, I can't see myself getting up 50 years from now, just sayin. Oh by the way to all the grammar police out there, I do know that "sayin" is not a real word, at least not yet. remember when "Ain't" wasn't a real word? Now there is a trivia question.

Things are achangin.

The question I keep asking myself is, "Are we changing for the better?"

I was in a meeting yesterday and our CEO I, will call him Mr. T. (Basically because I am getting tired of counting to 15 every time I spell his name) said, "Give me an audacious statement, one that will turn my head."

I said, "Solve world wars. Love one another."

Wouldn't it be cool if 75 years from now someone wakes up, turns on the news and hears the trivia question of the day, "When did loving one another become popular?

Answer 2020.

This would denote that loving one another had become so popular, long enough that people would have thought it was just normal and always there.

Kind of like brushing your teeth

A societal norm.

Let's work on loving one another.

Give each other grace.

Let give one another a helping hand (I guess the elbow thing would make that difficult).

We are better together.

Something to ponder.

Blessings,
Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment