My Book

My Book

Thursday, April 14, 2022

You won't believe what happened to me last weekend!

 Good morning,

I pray the day finds you well.

Archibald (Our Aquatics Director), came into my office, plopped (yes, plopped) down in the chair and said, "You won't believe what happened to me last weekend!" 

I responded, "Knowing you, you're right, I probably won't believe you." I know what your thinking, "Wow, Roger is the best chaplain in the world!"

He looks at me for a minute and says, "Haha, now shut up and listen." We have an awesome relationship, Archibald and I. 

Archibald had just bought a house with his partner and were in the process of moving in, turning on the power, water, garbage...All that "Adult" stuff you have to do. 

Anyway, he tells me to shut up and listen.

Archibald then recounts his entire last week, weekend through Monday. I knew this was going to be a long story so I put on my best empathetic counseling face so Archibald knew he was being listened to cared for, and validated.

It looked like this: 


Archibald said, "Monday I went online and set up an account with Clark Public Utilities for water.

Wednesday, there was a notice on the front door saying that the water would be shutoff in 24-hours if we didn't setup an account. I ignored the notice and told my partner Banjo, "Don't worry Banjo, I already setup an account and this must have been done before they got the new account notice"

Thursday the water was shutoff 

Thursday I called Clark Public utilities and said, "Why did you shutoff our water?"

Clark Public Utilities responded, "Oh that makes sense, we don't service your water; that is the city of Vancouver, here is their number."

Archibald went on to say, "I hung up with Clark Public Utilities and called the City of Vancouver Water Department. They answered, walked me through setting up an account and said, "The earliest we can come out is Friday morning."

The story drags on.

Archibald continues, "Friday roles around and I waited. By 5pm the water was still not on and I assumed it was too late to call the city. the weekend flies by, waterless."

I did the perfunctory, Hmmm. You learn that in chaplain school.

Archibald goes on, seemginly oblivious to my Hmmm that I learned in chaplain school. 

He says, "Monday morning I went to check to see if the water was on, it was still off and the padlock was still on the water main. I called the city, ready to unload on them. They answered very pleasantly and said, "Our records say that we did turn the water on Friday. 

By now I was really interest and on the edge of my seat. I couldn't wait for what would happen next.

Archibald snapped a picture of me, totally enthralled.


The story went on:

Archibald said, "I assured them that, no, the water was still off and padlocked."

The City said, "Alright, we will send someone out."

3-minutes later, a lovely woman shows up in a white van, takes the padlock off and turns the water on.

Archibald said, "That was fast!" she responded, "Yes, I was just around the corner. If it happens again, we have a 24-hour call center and could have taken care of this quickly." 

Archibald yells at me, "Why couldn't they have told me that in the first place." 

I responded, "In the first place you set up the water with the wrong utility."

Archibald said, "Shut up and be supportive."

I am really going to have to work with him on his people skills! 

Archibald said, "Thanks for being here and letting me rant." 

I said, "That is why I am here." 

Archibald got up and left.

As he closed the door, I started to ponder his story. That is when God asked, "There are so many directions we could go with this story. 

  • Are you listening, or just waiting for your turn to talk.
  • Trust in God not man.
  • Are you practicing the ministry of presence, or are you just asleep?
Which story should we go with?"

I pondered God's question.

Then I pondered some more.

I started to ponder, how man will disappoint, but God never does. While I may think he is disappointing me at the time, when I look back I am always glad that He said "No" to something. Archibald had placed his trust in someone to do the right thing and they treated him as just another number, another box to get checked. God will never treat you like another thing on his to-do list. 

I will continue to work on giving more of my trust to God. I will continue to work on losing myself and gain more of Him. 

How are you doing? are you putting your trust in yourself or God? 

Something to ponder.

Blessings,

Roger 

No comments:

Post a Comment