My Book

My Book

Friday, April 1, 2022

The last I checked broken crayons still color the same!

 Good morning,

I pray the day finds you well. 

Dateline March 31, 2022

At the time of this writing I am looking at a whiteboard in the lobby of the YMCA. I am lucky I guess. My office is full of windows and since I have windows I like to look out of them, just say-in. So I am looking out of my window into the lobby of the YMCA at a whiteboard. On the whiteboard there is a wonderfully drawn picture of a crayon box with different color crayons sticking out the top. On the box it is written "Crayons Day", evidently March 31st is "Crayons Day".  Under the drawing of the box is a quote, "We are all a little broken, but the last I checked broken crayons still color the same." 

This is very true for crayons, not always so true for humans. 

I started to ponder this. I started pondering about crayons.

Crayons do not have cognitive ability, so they do not know that they are broken, thus coloring the same.

Crayons do not have nerves, so they do not feel pain, thus they color the same.

Crayons do not have emotions, so they do not hurt, thus they color the same. 

Crayons do not have an ego, so they do not feel judgement, thus they color the same. 

Crayons do not care that they are broken, so they never feel less than, so they color the same.

Crayons are really cool, I watch young humans smile and laugh when coloring with crayons. I watch older humans smile as they doodle with crayons. I see crayons given as gifts all the time. 

Crayons have the ability to make people happy, to brighten their day. It doesn't matter if the crayon is broken or not. Most crayons if they have been used are broken, broken just happens in the life of a crayon. 

As my pondering continued, I started to ponder about humans.

Humans do have cognitive ability, so they know they are broken, thus behave differently.

Humans do have nerves, so the do feel pain, thus behave differently.

Humans do have emotions, so the do hurt, thus behave differently.

Humans do have an ego, so the do feel judgement, thus behave differently.

Humans do care that they are broken, so they do feel less than, thus behave differently.

As I continued to ponder (I do know that I am not the brightest brick in the load. Yes, I do enjoy a good mixed metaphor), I realized that the moment a crayon starts being used it becomes broken to some degree. And, as a human grows and interacts with other humans, they too start to become broken to some degree. 

The realization the crayons and humans have more in common than I first thought was eye opening. 

This is when God spoke. He said, "The reason that humans behave differently is that, even though we are told and are aware that everyone is broken, each human thinks it is more broken in some way than others and feel the need to hide it, or at least think they are hiding their brokenness. They do not realize that they leak. Their actions tend to betray them."

God went on to say, "If humans would just relax a bit and see that their brokenness actually makes them more like each other than being different they could color like crayons do. They could help each other through the difficult time that is life, and bring a smile to another's face" 

God's words were a revelation to me.

There is a lot of hurt in the world. Even though we are broken we can still help others, thus coloring a beautiful picture in a our world.  

Something to ponder.

Blessings,

Roger


No comments:

Post a Comment