My Book

My Book

Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Lately, I have been thinking about food.

Good morning,

I pray the day finds you well.

When you walk down a path in the woods, a forest, a place where a lot of trees tend to grow; whatever you want to call it, you have time to think. 

Lately, I have been thinking about food. 

I guess walking burns calories, and calories need to be replaced. Evidently, calories live in food, so one has to eat food to obtain calories, or so I am told. 

So lately, I have been thinking about food. 

Now I do have to get one thing straight. I am not a picky eater. I think it stems from my growing up years and my mother. Mom was a lot of things, a fabulous cook not being one of them. I am not saying anything she hasn't already admitted to. I guess that is what happens when you take a Kennicott off the estate and take away their wait staff, chefs, and cooks. 

Mom, once fried bologna and made rice. The bologna cupped up when fried, mom spooned rice into the bologna, gave it a fancy French name (I guess that makes it taste better), and served it for dinner. Dad ate it like it was candy, Betty and I just looked at each other and said, "You first."  

I lost, took a bite, and found out that while it might not be in my top 53 favorite foods, I didn't die (Scratch that one off the list), so all is good. 

So I was walking along the path thinking about food, oddly enough bologna did not cross my mind. 

I started thinking about:

  • Macaroni and cheese
  • Tacos
  • Sushi
  • BBQ
  • French bread, cheese, and hard salami
  • Cheese
Macaroni and cheese, as I thought about this, I kept going back to Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. I know it isn't the "gourmet" Macaroni and Cheese, but I do like me some good Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. After all, you are talking to the guy who does not despise fried bologna and rice. 

Tacos, A good street taco is not to be scoffed at. And the best street tacos are often found on the street, go figure. Usually in a trailer that says, "Tacos." 

Sushi is awesome but can be scary. My buddy Chuck and I love Sushi. We are also very cheap. Not gas station Sushi cheap. but pretty darn close. We went to this sushi place a few times and started to notice the same Sushi being served over a few days. We asked the waitress (Is this politically correct anymore, I can never tell?)  The waitperson (Look how I have adapted) said, "Maybe, I can't really tell. We just keep the train moving and hope for the best. She didn't really say that, but it was surely implied. 

We didn't go back to that Sushi place. 

BBQ, I have found the best BBQ in America! You might think I am lying, but I am not. I am not going to tell you where it is either. Ha...but it is good stuff, Maynard!

French Bread, cheese, and hard salami. I only bring that out for my most favorite people. It is actually reserved for only me and my traveling companion. This is special, what is amazing about French Bread, cheese, and hard salami is that it brings out great conversations. You know, the conversations that keep building long after the conversation is over. My kind of conversation. 

Cheese, I love cheese, it is my kryptonite! You name the cheese and I will eat it. 

Yes, walking down a path will bring out the hangry in anyone. 

But you know what? I would rather walk through the woods with my traveling companion and be hungry, tired, and sore; than anywhere else in the world. 

There is nothing like being with someone who you know, and I mean know, has your back. 

I am learning that there is no greater love than that. I am learning that it really doesn't matter what goes on in life as long as you have that! 

Life isn't one big thing, it is a bunch of little things brought together to make the big thing. And walking through life with someone who has your back is something that is made up of a bunch of little things. All those little things make up that big thing, that everyone is looking for. 

I will continue to keep my eyes open, to look at the here and now. 

Oh, and by the way thank you for walking with me.

Blessings,
Roger

 

No comments:

Post a Comment