My Book

My Book

Tuesday, June 6, 2023

I gave a pastor a ride to his car, I wouldn't recommend doing that!

Good morning,
I pray the day finds you well.

I am still out in open country, I cannot get the visual of my dog running away out of my head. He wasn't really running away, he was chasing a bird, but hey it was funny either way.

My buddy Matt (yes, he is that pastor I am talking about) asked if I could give him a ride to his 30+year-old Bronco II, it was at the shop. 

Actually, it went more like this.

Every Tuesday morning Matt and a bunch of guys play basketball at the Y. They had finished and he stopped by my office. He just wanted to say hi and to smell the place up a bit, He was sweaty from playing basketball. 

Matt, "Hi Roger."

Roger, "Hi Matt"

Matt, "What are you doing?"

Roger, "Holding my breath"

Matt, "Why?"

Roger, "You stink, go take a shower and let's get a coffee."

Matt, "Ok" and leaves.

Matt comes back a few minutes later, freshly showered.

Roger, "I need a coffee, let's go."

Matt, "Ok, but first can we get my Bronco?"

Roger, "Sure."

This is where being present in the moment changes the day. I call it God's calendar versus my Calendar.

We got in my car and drive to the shop, did I mention his Bronco was 30+ years old? 

We got his Bronco, but now has another dilemma, if I just take him back to the Y he will have two cars at the Y. 

Roger, "Let's just take your Bronco home and then get coffee so you won't have two cars at the Y."

Matt, "Ok" Man of many words, that Matt is.

So I follow Matt home. He parks the car and jumps in mine. 

Matt, "I want to take you to a special coffee place, I know you will be thinking I am taking you on a wild goose chase, but trust me.  

So Matt directed me through this meandering journey to his "special" coffee place, and we began to talk, and not about the weather.

We got the coffee, it was pretty good for a cup of mud. 

We were in the middle of what I like to call a crucial conversation and decided to just drive and talk until our next appointment which was at 9:30 am, it was currently around 8:15 am. 

We talked about life.

We talked about death.

We talked about all the stuff in between. 

We talked about the future.

We talked about the past.

We remained in the here and now.

Time went by pretty quickly. We got done and to our next appointments on time.

I guess we both need someone to talk to, and we were lucky enough to be present enough to realize it.

Are you being present to the moment? Something to ponder.

Blessings,

Roger










No comments:

Post a Comment