My Book

My Book

Thursday, June 8, 2023

The river is therapeutic, and paddling is cathartic.

Good morning,
I pray the day finds you well.

I am getting tired of walking, not the physical tiredness that I get from working hard, but the, "This is getting old" kind of tired. I am thinking that I want to continue my journey in another way. 

I have been walking close to a river for a while now, and I am the owner of a canoe. I am thinking that I will put the canoe in the water and go for a paddle. 

I like canoeing, and so does my traveling companion. 

Some of the best conversations happen in a canoe. I don't know what it is that brings these conversations out, but they tend to come out while we are paddling our canoe. Maybe it is the calmness of the water or the quietness of the river, or maybe it is that life is happening all around us, we just have to have our eyes and ears open to see it.

In a canoe you can sit silently for a long time lost in your thoughts. You can watch intently as an eagle soars above. If you are lucky you can watch a beaver build something or an otter play. 

You can watch life happen in a canoe. 

One of the things I enjoy most is the act of paddling.  Paddling a canoe is an art, one that I am not sure I will ever completely master. There are a myriad of paddle strokes that can be used. The one that comes to everyone's mind is the simple forward paddle stroke. 

Anyone who has ever paddled a canoe quickly finds out that if you just paddle straight forward the canoe will just go in a big circle. Most people get frustrated and eventually quit canoeing, but there are other strokes that correct this canoe behavior. 

There are strokes to make you go straight. There are strokes to make you go forward. There are strokes to make you go backward. There are strokes to make you go sideways. 

I never get bored paddling. In fact, when I bring someone with me, I don't even care if they paddle. I like having them along because I enjoy their company and the conversation, not to help me paddle. 

The river is therapeutic, and paddling is cathartic. 

I wonder if my traveling companion will get in the canoe with me or will I canoe alone? I hope my companion comes with me, but it is not up to me. I do enjoy the company and the conversation. 

What part of life's journey are you on?  

Are you still in the mud? 
Are you on dry ground?
Are you traveling with a companion?
Are you traveling alone?
Are you on the water?

Something to ponder.

Blessings,
Roger



No comments:

Post a Comment