My Book

My Book

Monday, June 5, 2023

The Big Paddle

 Good morning,

I pray the day finds you well.

We had another big event weekend, and this is how it started.

Darryl, "Calendar, now, must, event!" 

Roger, "I totally agree!"

Now if you are wondering what this was, you are not alone. I have become very fluent in the Bigfoot language, with all of its dialects and idioms. 

Daryll and I were at Corp Thursday, yes, we drove in Daryll's midlife crisis Porsche that has a Golf logo on the front. Only one "It's on your side," happened that day. 

Trevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvor, "I signed us up for a golf tourney in Oregon City."

Daryll, "So..."

Trevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvor, "I need you to be at one of the holes that we sponsored and Wow the golfers."

I laughed, Wowing, is not one of Daryll's or my best traits."

I said that I already had an event I was prepping for so Daryll you are on your own.

Friday morning rolls around, I am in Daryll's office.

Esmerelda comes in.

Esmerelda, "Have you seen the event swag tub?"

Darryl, "I took it to East last night for the Golf tourney."

Esmerelda, "What!!!! I have an event this morning at Evergreen School District and need that tub."

Darryl, "Huh."

I looked at them, decided I was better off elsewhere, and left the office.

I walked back to my office and there was Wonder Woman. 

Wonder Woman, "Can I have the keys to the bus, I need the bus for a school event this evening."

Me, "Yes, as long as it is back in the locked storage facility by 7 am tomorrow morning, so I can get it to Ridgefield.

Wonder Woman, "I can do that." She looked stressed.

I asked, "What is going on?"

Wonder Woman, "The School is putting on an event and has the "Y" being part of it and they forgot to tell me!"

I said, "I guess it is cool that we are getting so engrained into the community that they are including us naturally without us asking or them checking to see if it is ok."

Woman Woman, "Yes, but I had to cancel a bunch of stuff just to make it happen." 

I said, "Do you want me to go?"

Wonder Woman, "Thank you, but no, you have your event in the morning. I will have the bus back in place and text you when it is done so you won't stress about it."

I guess she knows me.

I watch Esmerelda go into her office.

I go back to Darryl's office.

Darryl, "Calendar, now, must, event!"

Darryl was saying we need an event calendar so we aren't going through this again. 

I said, "I agree." And then went on to say, "The calendar would not have helped in this case, since two of the events came upon us unknown and we just need to make things happen."

I gave him a Jack Links Beef Jerky, it seemed to calm him down a bit.

11 pm, I get a text from Wonder Woman that the bus was safe and sound and the keys were on my desk.

5 am the alarm goes off, and Laurie hits me on the head, I get out of bed.

I go to the office, get the keys, go get the bus, drop off my car, and am in Ridgefield at 8 am. 

You say, "Wait a minute it doesn't take 3 hours to go to the Y, get the bus, and then drive to Ridgefield."

True enough for most people, but this was my morning.

5 am the alarm goes off, Laurie hits me on the head and I get out of bed.

  • I stumble through the dark bedroom, hit my big toe on the door jam, and yell ouch. Laurie yells be quiet!
  • I go to the kitchen and make my coffee.
  • I turn on the news to see the weather.
  • I wait impatiently for the coffee to finish.
  • I drink my coffee.
  • I go to the bathroom (I have socks that explain this process).
  • I take a shower.
  • I brush my teeth.
  • I get dressed.
  • I make another cup of coffee for the road.
  • I go to the car and realize I forgot my backpack.
  • I go back into the house and get my backpack.
  • I go back to the car, just to realize I forgot my coffee.
  • I go back into the house and get my coffee. 
  • I go back to the car, get in, and buckle my seatbelt only to realize I don't have the key.
  • I go back into the house and get the key.
  • I go back to the car, get in put it in reverse, back out to the road, put it in drive, I look down (I am glad that I did) and see I forgot to put pants on (I am also glad I live in the country). 
  • I drive the car back into the driveway and park the car and go into the house and put pants on!
  • I go back to the car, get in, buckle my seatbelt, and leave.
Now you know why I got up at 5 am.

I got set up at "The Big Paddle" an event in Ridgefield where all these kayakers and canoe people come and paddle the Lake River, dance, eat, and generally have a great time. 

Padme got us into the event, and we had quite the crowd. Everyone wanted to know where Padme was.

It appears she is very popular in Ridgefield. 

Archibald was with me and we were doing safety around water experiences. 

Laurie showed up and started doing her "sales" thing and the next thing you knew we were overrun with kids and moms. I was busy handing out summer camp flyers, and talking about the "Y."

Laurie is a very good salesperson. 

Darryl brought his handler with him, Claire. She was keeping him under control. 

We watched Laurie do her thing, it was fun to watch.

We even found a Membership Director for Padme. The only problem was she is just 3 years old. She was running around getting kids to come to stick their hands in cold water and play with Legos. She even diligently dried off the Legos with Archibald's towel. She then threw them back into the tub of water, but the intent was still there.

It was a great event, by the time I got home I was pooped, well not pooped, I better find another word. Exhausted comes to mind. An introvert doing extravert things tends to tire one out. 

The Friday events went very well. 

The Saturday event was a big hit. 

I wonder what next weekend will bring?

Do you ever have weekends like this?

Something to ponder.

Blessings,
Roger






No comments:

Post a Comment